Sunday, July 01, 2007

Hi from Zion


Ah the oasis in the desert. I was flying through the town of Rockville on the way to Zion N.P. when I spied this bed and breakfast in the middle of town. Had to stop and capture the thistle moment.

It's been a long and hot day. Started out at Snow Canyon state park and did a couple of short midday hikes there, which were beautiful but I wouldn't recommend doing it in 106 degree heat. There is just no way around it - it was damn hot.

After refueling with fluids in St. George - I headed east at about 4:30 to Zion NP. Thought I'd have a quick peek before going there for the day tomorrow. What an absolutely gorgeous place. On my way there I passed several spots in the road like for instance Rockville and Coal Pit Wash. They should have named it "Most beautiful place for miles wash" or "This is unbleeping believable red rockville".

So got to the park via Springdale and following Sandra Hinchman's advice I entered the park and headed to the east entrance. The drive was incredible. I will post some pictures above. Gorgeous rocks, scenery and the size of it all - again did a couple of short jaunts to check out views etc. and the heat was much more tolerable. A combination of time of day (it was about 7:30 pm) and elevation (I think Zion is at about 6,000 feet).

Anyways a great day.

No comments: